Montana 4-H Shooting Sports Training
Shooting Sports is the 4th largest 4-H project in Montana with over 2,600 youth enrolled annually in the combined disciplines of archery, hunting, muzzle loading, pistol, rifle, and shotgun. Trained leaders are able to provide youth an opportunity to learn safety, leadership, sportsmanship, decision making, and technical skills, in addition to the opportunity to compete at the local, state and national level.
Each county 4-H Shooting Sports program must be conducted under the supervision of a trained shooting sports leader. These trainings are offered three times a year in various locations across the state.
Each training workshop includes:
- 3-hour Friday night session covering the philosophies and policies of Montana 4-H
- 8-hour Saturday session of discipline training.
Upon completion of the course, volunteers receive a certificate that allows them to administer 4-H Shooting Sports in their county and in the discipline they received training for. Volunteers may only be certified in one discipline per training, but may attend as many trainings as they wish. Certification is valid for seven years if the volunteer continues as an enrolled 4-H volunteer and an active shooting sports leader. A two-year lapse in participation requires re-certification to continue as a 4-H shooting sports leader.
Volunteers in 4-H Shooting Sports must be 21 years old or older. Interested minors may attend a training workshop, but are required to work under the supervision of a certified adult.
Additional opportunities for Shooting Sports Leader Trainings are available in the state of Idaho, and are put on by the Idaho 4-H Center for Youth Development. If you choose to attend, please make sure that you have been registered in your home counties as leaders. When the training is completed, a verification of the training will be sent to Scott Francis.
Idaho Shooting Sports Leader Trainings:
- Caldwell, Idaho, March 2-4, 2018 - Archery, Pistol, Rifle, and Shotgun
- Moscow, Idaho, March 31, 2018 - Archery and Rifle
- Coeur d'Alene, Idaho, April 14-15, 2018 - Archery, Hunting, Pistol, Rifle, and Shotgun
- Rigby, Idaho, April 27-28, 2018 - Archery, Pistol, and Rifle
- Pocatello, Idaho, May 4-5, 2018 - Archery, Rifle, and Shotgun
- Please see this website for all registration information; https://www.uidaho.edu/extension/4h/programs/shooting-sports/instructor/certify